Humidity, perspiration, or taking your hearing aid for a bath or pool can cause damage to a hearing aid and prevent it from working.
If you live in an area subject to high humidity or regularly engage to activities that create a lot of sweat are are few preventative options:
1. Audiologists Choice Desiccant.
This is a small jar of silica (desiccating) crystals in a jar. At night, after removing the battery, place the hearing aid down in the jar. During the night, the moisture in the hearing aid will be absorbed by crystals. The silica crystals can be recycled by oven heating when they become moist (indicated by change in color), so the kit has a long life.
2. Dry & Store
, is an electrical appliance that uses heat, moving air, as well as a desiccating substance to remove moisture from a hearing aid (as well as from any cerumen that may have infiltrated the sound bore). The unit will accommodate two hearing aids (any type). Once turned on, it is programmed for an eight hour cycle, the first eight minutes of which a germicidal lamp helps kill off bacteria, molds or fungi that may be growing on the surface of the hearing aid shell or earmold. With this unit, it is best not to remove the battery (but keeping the battery compartment open) since the removal of moisture from the battery may slightly extend its life span. A number of anecdotal reports suggest that that the regular use of this device can help ensure the hearing aid's optimal performance over the long run.
3. A jar of uncooked rice. The uncooked rice acts as a desiccant - removes moisture from the hearing aid.